Since its inception, CQDM has raised more than $275 million to fund the development of 150 + drugs addressing major health challenges, including cancer, neurodegenerative and metabolic diseases.
CQDM is a biopharmaceutical research consortium whose mission is to fund the development of innovative tools and technologies that accelerate the development of safe and effective drugs. We bring together world-leading pharmaceutical organizations, several Canadian biotech companies, the best researchers from the public and private sectors, as well as the Canadian and Québec governments. Our collaborative approach bridges the funding gap needed to drive innovation, especially where early-stage research is concerned.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
Working closely with the Senior Director, Business Development, you will be a key contributor to CQDM’s efforts for the scouting, identification and funding of exceptional technologies that are fully aligned with R&D strategic objectives of CQDM’s pharma members and/or the investment strategy of CQDM.
The specific role and responsibilities will be determined based on the candidate’s experience and qualifications and fit with the current CQDM Business Development team.
CQDM is expanding its presence outside Quebec and as such this position is open to candidates from across Canada with Vancouver and Toronto locations prioritized. Applicants must have the ability to work remotely and be available for domestic and international travel (20-30%).
- Engage and promote CQDM to global pharmaceutical companies to secure additional members for CQDM’s biopharmaceutical consortium
- Work closely with CQDM’s global pharmaceutical members to identify priority areas of research interest
- Develop and maintain business relationships with key stakeholders in the Canadian life science ecosystem including academic, biotechnology, pharmaceutical, research funding and venture groups
- Actively source and identify high impact, innovative research from across Canada that address identified priority research interests
- Develop and execute novel strategies to increase interactions between the Canadian life sciences ecosystem and CQDM’s pharmaceutical members
- Attend and represent CQDM at conferences/events to increase its national presence
- Lead and manage contract negotiations (research, collaboration, and contribution agreements), working with external legal counsel as required
- Remain constantly up to date with trends, practices, and future priorities of biopharmaceutical R&D
We are looking for candidates with significant and relevant experience. Candidates will be expected to have the skills and experiences required to “hit the ground running” and to make an immediate impact on CQDM’s ability to deliver value to our pharmaceutical members. Applicants with extensive experience in the pharmaceutical industry (business development, search & evaluation, alliance management or research scientist) or venture capital (opportunity assessment, diligence) will be prioritized.
- Advanced degree (Ph.D.) in a discipline related to the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry
- Minimum of 10+ years of experience and a proven track-record in business development, licensing, scouting, and/or external partnership activities with the pharma industry
- Very strong scientific background in therapeutic indications of major interest for leading pharmas and biotechs
- Solid understanding of R&D in the pharma industry at the international level
- An extensive network among the pharma industry at the international level
- A strong capacity to anticipate the evolution of R&D within the pharma industry
- Ability to understand and triage technologies from both scientific excellence as well as industry interest/uptake perspective
- An excellent knowledge of the Canadian research landscape (academic and industrial)
- A strong ability to communicate in English, the ability to communicate in French will be an asset
ABILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Extraordinarily strong leadership and autonomy
- Remarkably high credibility within the life science industry (academic, biotech and pharma)
- Business oriented
- Capacity to interact at a prominent level with top executives of public structures and private organizations
- Capacity to integrate into a small team
- Highly motivated and performance driven
- Strong interpersonal skills
We are a small non-profit organization, with a young, agile, and dynamic team of highly qualified professionals. Many opportunities exist for employees to quickly assume a greater leadership role, and for personal and professional development.
CQDM offers competitive employment conditions and a flexible hybrid working environment. CQDM’s offices are in downtown Montreal, near the Square Victoria metro station.
We offer competitive salaries, in line with your qualifications, a comprehensive group insurance plan, and a great vacation plan.
CQDM is looking for diverse profiles that will enrich the team; therefore, all people who share our passion for the advancement of health research and collaboration are invited to apply regardless of their age, gender, sexual orientation, family status, religion, origin, or disability.
If you are interested in this position, please send your cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected will be contacted.
Take the chance to make an impact by creating a product that brings positive change to the world!