Since its creation, CQDM has raised nearly $190 million to fund the development of approximately 130 drugs addressing major health concerns, including cancer, and neurodegenerative and metabolic diseases.
CQDM is a biopharmaceutical research consortium with the socially responsible mission of funding the development of innovative tools and technologies that accelerate the development of safe and effective drugs that benefit all Canadians. We bring together world-leading pharmaceutical organizations, Canadian biotechnology companies, the best public and private sector researchers in the life sciences ecosystem, as well as the Canadian and Quebec governments. Our collaborative research approach bridges the funding gap needed to stimulate innovation, particularly in early-stage research.
Note: The masculine gender is used to simplify the text.
We are looking for a confident, results-oriented controller to manage, improve, and lead our organization’s financial and administrative functions and work alongside the Vice President of Finance and Administration to provide that leadership. Specifically, we are seeking a controller to:
- Manage accounting, reporting, treasury, internal controls and contract compliance.
- Assume responsibilities for information technology, human resources and office functions within the organization.
- Establish internal control policies and procedures, in-line with best practices for an organization of our size and complexity, and pursue opportunities to optimize the efficiency and effectiveness of the organization.
- Provide leadership and direct a small accounting department.
- Participate in the development and support the company’s strategic plans and objectives.
- Manage and gather all financial data necessary for accurate and efficient accounting of business results, and provide financial analysis and compliant reporting.
- Develop and communicate to management the company’s performance metrics and other information essential to their decision-making process and performance monitoring.
- Direct the budget process with management, as well as monitor and prepare forecasts.
- Manage cash flow and investments.
- Plan, guide and coordinate all accounting functions, including the management and oversight of payroll, accounts payable and vendor negotiations, accounts receivable and collections, and project disbursements.
- Manage contracts and in particular compliance with stated obligations.
- Responsible for income and sales taxes, insurance, regulatory reporting and compliance.
- Maintain and implement strong internal controls.
- Evaluate and implement new tools and procedures to optimize the organization’s efficiency and effectiveness.
- Manage general human resource functions, including employee benefit plans and policies, their contracts and files, and assist with their hiring, training and retention.
- Manage and maintain IT and telecommunication infrastructure, network, databases and related budgets, coordinate technical support with external partners, and purchase IT supplies and equipment and manage related inventories.
- Manage office space and facilities, as well as related contracts, service providers, supplies and equipment.
- University degree in accounting or business administration with preference given to candidates with a professional accounting designation (CPA).
- At least 5-10 years of relevant experience.
- Previous experience in public accounting highly valued.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Demonstrate strong knowledge of accounting fundamentals and standards.
- Ability to understand the organization’s needs and create results-oriented strategies.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work closely with management.
- Self-driven, proactive and able to fit into a small, agile organization.
- Excellent leadership skills, strong analytical and problem-solving skills, highly organized to manage multiple projects and priorities.
- Attention to detail and compliance.
- Strong technology background, with good knowledge of accounting software and other various media.
- Good knowledge of Quick Base database platform and SAGE accounting software preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite (Excel advanced level).
- Fluently bilingual, with good writing skills in French and English.
START DATE: Immediately
We are a small non-profit organization, with a young, agile and dynamic team of highly qualified professionals. Many opportunities exist for an employee to quickly assume a greater leadership role, and for personal and professional development.
CQDM offers competitive employment conditions and a flexible hybrid working environment (where the benefits of working from home are recognized). CQDM’s offices are located in downtown Montreal, near the Place d’Armes metro station. When working from home, the employee is responsible for ensuring access to a secured Internet and an adequate workspace.
We offer competitive compensation based on your qualifications, a comprehensive group insurance plan, reasonable reimbursement for professional fees and training activities, and great vacation plan.
If you are interested in this position, please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected will be contacted.
Take the chance to make an impact by creating a product that brings positive change to the world!